Tuesday, April 19

There aren't 10 of us, but I still managed 10 things!

I'm a little troubled today because I'm having a difficult time with the 10 on Tuesday topic this week. 10 Things You Love About Your Family.....I've known about it for a few days, I've had plenty of sitting & thinking time to come up with some sort of track I should take. Unfortunately we're going through a bit of a rough patch and these kinds of answers are harder to come by when things are rough.

I'm sure that sounds far more dramatic than it really is. You just need to understand that there are aging parents some with medical issues and some with different ideas of what retirement is supposed to be like. We have siblings who don't always show up when we need them too and then they show up when it would be a lot easier if they didn't.

We also have teenagers, one who is navigating her freshman year of high school with less grace than I had hoped and one who is refusing to navigate his freshman year of college. There is a distinct lack of youth employment and homework dedication but there is an abundance of text messages, dirty dishes, and scattered dirty clothes.

I am still, after more than 13 years, at the Widget Factory and lately it has been hard to remember why I'm thankful for the opportunity to work - at least work here. Mr. Motorcycle and I celebrated our 20 year wedding anniversary by doing nothing - he worked and I took ThePrincess to the rink. Even if we could find the time to celebrate, we do not currently have the extra funds it would take to celebrate that milestone in the manner it deserves.

10 days - Hawaii

I have high expectations.

Maybe it's my expectations that get in the way and make things rough- maybe they are set too high for everyone, including myself.

I had to dig deep for these this week; I hope that means that they're good.

1.) Family dinner discussions are never disappointing and almost always enlightening. Rarely do we have to tell someone to speak kindly and I never have to tell someone to put that phone away.

2.) When things are rough for one of us or all of us, we have empathy for each other and we try not to hurt more.

3.) We love to watch re-runs of That 70's Show, Family Guy, King of the Hill, Sponge Bob, and a plethora of campy movies and discuss them as though the knowledge imparted could lead us to the next Nobel Prize.

4.) We've got each others back. Sure, we may argue and stomp our feet and call each other names but if someone from the outside gives one of us a bad time - watch out because the reinforcements are coming.

5.) Criminal Minds - it's a tie that binds. We even have a spreadsheet.

6.) There is goodness in each of us. Even when the bad is trying to win out, the goodness always shines through.

7.) We all love the zoo and have an unwritten rule that we mute all ASPCA and similar commercials to avoid tears.

8.) A water fight, with hoses, is not out of the question. Expect shrieking.

9.) We have a history and we love it.

10) It doesn't matter if things are great or things are rough, we never forget that we love each other and we are better for it. I think that means our love is unconditional.

I could have written things for each person, and this might have been easier ~ each person has a special place and role in our family and I wouldn't change it for the world... except for the dirty dishes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, I love you.

Mr. M

Guinifer said...

Love. This.