Friday, May 4

Every Day Can Be A Holiday!

Not unlike St. Patricks day, I choose to apply my time tested Theory of Celebration to the Mexican holiday, Cinco de Mayo.

Just because this isn't the bulk of my ethnic heritage 
doesn't mean I can't celebrate with everyone!

Unlike St. Patricks Day, Cinco de Mayo is a lot bigger holiday in the United States than in the country it originated in.  In fact, according to my extensive unreliable internet research Cinco de Mayo has nothing to do with Margaritas, Coronas, Fajitas or Taco Salad; instead it the commemorates the Mexican army's 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War.

Thus concludes your history lesson for the day. 

Now begins your Oh My! I Wanna Drink/Eat That lesson for the day, which is inspired by Cinco de Mayo.

Once upon a time I lived in a sheltered little town and thought that burritos, nachos and tacos were the only Mexican foods.  I didn't like Mexican food much back then, I think it's safe to lay the blame for that horrible autocracy firmly at the foot of the lone restaurant in town that served "Mexican" food. 

Since leaving my little tiny hometown I have watched a lot of television (pbs - Rick Bayless), I have started eating outside my comfort zone and I have discovered the magnificence of tomatoes, avocados and drinks that are not from bottles branded by 2 old guys named Bartles and James.

I have my own skinny margarita recipe;it actually belongs to Target but I use it regularly in the summer and besides being pretty tasty it is also fairly inexpensive (compared to the bottle version of a skinny margarita touted by a reality tv "star") and super easy to make.  Directions - CursingMama's Skinny Margarita!

I have also searched the internet high and low for other celebratory foods & drinks that I can enjoy for this holiday and every other day I feel like commemorating the Mexican army's 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War.

In the words of a Food Network star that drives me insane... YUMO!

We make something very similar to this Black Bean salad a lot (no corn add peeled & diced cucumber). It's a great fresh side dish to just about any meat, although I tend to pair it with grilled chicken breasts because chicken is lean and protein  packed. 






If you will not be eating meat for Cinco de Mayo, may I suggest something in the grilled cheese food group?






Or - how about these vegan nachos? 






Here's another tomato salad because I couldn't resist... I love tomato and avocado!



Source: google.com via Cursing on Pinterest



Here's a drink and a dessert all wrapped up into one!
Corona Cupcakes!






Of course there is a margarita version as well.....






Or the margarita jello shot...









Have a safe holiday weekend and remember not finishing your drink is alcohol abuse!




1 comment:

Chris said...

I hope you had a fun Cinco de Mayo! My niece had a Cinco de Mayo themed birthday party, so we had some darn tasty food on Saturday. :)