Anyway! Today's 10 on Tuesday is my Top 10 Favorite 1 Hit Wonders... I will admit that I am trending toward the 1980's when it comes to this topic...the days of my youth when I'd hear a song I loved on the radio & rush out to get the cassette only to find that just that 1 song was worthy of a listen.
It made me long for "singles" cassettes because I was never a fan of the song dubbed off the radio (the dj always screwed it up & talked over the darn thing)...
In no particular order The 10 Greatest 1 Hit Wonders - According to Me!!
10) Mickey - Toni Basil. I have to admit with this one that I actually purchased an album and even though Mickey was the only hit off the album I managed to listen to other songs on the album pretty religiously and knew all the words to "Shoppin From A to Z" Some may argue that she really had more than 1 hit....but really, none of the other songs released were all that memorable.
9) 867-5309 - Tommy Tutone. I feel sorry for the poor folks who had that phone number... I know I called it and I think just about every other kid in my school did too. No, Jenny didn't live there.
8) 99 Red (Luft) Balloons - Nena. A geek at heart I knew this song word for word... in english and german. Sadly it never helped boost my german grade.
7) Lunatic Fringe - Red Rider. Still love that song....lots of college memories are conjured up when I hear that one on the radio.
6) It's Raining Men - The Weather Girls. Classic girls drinkin' & dancin song!
5) I Know What Boys Like - The Waitresses. See #6 Reason
4) Voices Carry - Til Tuesday. I can't tell you how long it took me to figure out the lyrics for this song...but once I got those words I had no shame telling people how wrong they're versions were.
3) Black Velvet - Alannah Myles. Another one that brings back memories from college ~ Pink Floyd does the same thing, but obviously they weren't a 1 hit wonder.
2.) Missing You - John Waite. It was, for me, THE break-up song... you know the one...you listen to it over & over, hoping to find comfort but only going through more kleenex. Then your roommate cracks and starts slamming things around and complaining about how it is ridiculous to get that upset over someone you broke up with... I may have had an overly dramatic side.
1) Tuff Enuff -The Fabulous Thunderbirds. I have no story for this song.. I just really liked it when it came out & I still do. I really like it when it comes on the radio & I'm driving.... It's a good driving song.
This was MUCH harder than I thought it would be so I'm giving out some honorable mentions, because I can and because I think everyone needs to remember:
- Don Johnson - Heartbeat (it was so awful)
- Jack Wagner - All I need (Frisco Jones!)
- Eddie Murphy - Party All The Time (Or, potty...)
- Michael Damien - Rock On (another soap opera cross-over)
- Bruce Willis - Respect Yourself (what was up with all these movie/tv guys thinking they could sing?)
- Rodney Dangerfield - Rappin' Rodney (I hope nobody bought this)
The 2nd honorable mention category - the ones I wanted to put on the real list but ran out of room and they don't bring up the same fun memories as the ones I chose!
- Bobbie McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy (boy did this drive me nuts after a while)
- Edie Brickell & New Bohemians - What I am
- Georgia Satellites - Keep Your Hands to Yourself
- Jeff Healy Band - Angel Eyes
- Devo - Whip It
I wonder what Itunes & Amazon are going to think when there's a run on 1 hit wonders today.....